Public speaking is not the only arena in which social anxiety can rear it's ugly head. Musicians and performers may also suffer debilitating stage fright. In a recent lecture at the University of Western Ontario, Canada, Yaroslav Senyshyn, a Canadian pianist and professor of music and philosophy at Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada discussed some tips for keeping perfomance anxiety at bay based on his own experiences with stage fright.
- try to work through anxiety instead of denying it exists
- realize the benefits of moderate anxiety such as heightened focus and concentration
- perfectionism is a recipe for disaster -- there is no such thing as a perfect performance
- remember that the audience is on your side
- remember to breathe
- practice positive imagery and visualize success
Photo © Microsoft