Avoidance behaviors are those dysfunctional things that you do, or do not do, to manage feelings of anxiety in social or performance situations. Some examples of avoidance behaviors include:
- Eating at your desk to avoid the cafeteria
- Dropping a class to avoid giving a presentation
- Crossing the street to avoid talking to someone
- Not answering the telephone
- "Spacing out" when you are in a group
Have you ever engaged in these types of behaviors? If so, share your experiences with other readers.
Photo © Microsoft