Have you heard of behavioral experiments? The idea behind these little tricks is to pick something to do that would normally embarrass you or that you would try to avoid.
Start small and build up your ability to do these types of things. Do the easier ones first and the harder ones later.
Ideally these are things that make you feel a little or a lot embarrassed, but don't hurt anyone else.
For once, your goal is to become embarrassed or have others judge you! Below is a list of 20 ideas to get started.
- Dance in public as though there is music.
- Ask someone for directions to the place where you are.
- Pretend to fall down.
- Intentionally forget someone's name.
- Pretend to recognize someone you don't know.
- Sing in public.
- Pay entirely with pennies.
- Go up to a random person and say "How are you doing?"
- Ask for directions and then go the opposite way.
- Sit and read a magazine upside down.
- Wear something completely out of character for you (think high heels or cowboy boots).
- Ask for a discount on something.
- Wear something outlandish (like a crazy hat).
- Try to sell your stuff to telemarketers when they call you.
- Go to McDonalds and order a Whopper.
- Knock over your water in a restaurant.
- Go to a restaurant on your birthday and have them sing to you.
- Press the wrong button for someone in an elevator.
- Pay with the wrong bills.
- Show up late somewhere and make a spectacle of yourself.
What would you add to the list?
Photo © Microsoft